Saturday, June 21, 2008

Band Alumni Reunion



To fill a few spots in the roster left by band members who could not go on this trip, several band alumni were invited back. I was happy to have a little reunion with Val Zanchuk (trumpet). Val (on right with Frank Kaderabek) and clarinetist Scott Cragle were seniors in Lehigh University's class of '72 when I entered Lehigh as a freshman.

In those days, legendary Allentown Band conductor Dr. Albertus "Doc" Meyers was a frequent guest conductor of the Lehigh University Concert Band, and he often recruited college musicians. Val and Scott joined the Allentown Band soon after they graduated from Lehigh. At Lehigh reunions following my own graduation, they invited me to come to rehearsals. Having formed a none too favorable impression of community bands during high school (I played in the Pottsville Third Brigade Band), I resisted for nine years. But I finally started coming to Allentown Band rehearsals during the summer of 1984.

The first few minutes of rehearsal with Dr. Demkee changed my opinion of community bands. Actually, the Lehigh Valley is blessed with several very good bands, and Allentown is "Band City USA" with good reason. The Allentown Band, of course, stands out.